Archive for February, 2009
I can’t even tell you how mad this story makes me. Not the fact that this young lady will be mother of 4 at 17 but the shockingly judgemental journalism. I think its possibly the most prejudce piece of print I have read in some time.
The reporter describes Sian as having ‘no obvious prospects other than a life on taxpayer funded benefits’. Thats fantastic, it really – you go right ahead Daily Express and write her off at the age of 17!! I’m sure that will really inspire her (along with the negative, intrusive and insensitive publicity) to think beyond the next couple of years and what else she might like to do with her life.
Whatsmore, the hospital have encouraged her to consider aborting some of the babies because they are sharing a placenta and its safer I guess. Sian has declined. I don’t blame her really since the world has told her how wrong she is in the way she lives her life – how can you expect her to abort a child when she has nothing else but her role as a mother.
Yes having a baby at 15 and a few more at 17 is far from ideal. Yes her Mother should have set a better example. But what is perpetuating this cycle? Surely we need to support our young people to aspire to more than early parenthood, not just castigate them and write them off if they make mistakes.
And finally…I’m sick to death of this ‘taxpayers money’ concept. Firstly, it doesn’t make you holier than thou and secondly, theres no such thing as a non taxpayer – what do you think VAT is???!!!
1. Where is your cell phone? adjacent
2. Your significant other? sleeping
3. Your hair? straight
4. Your mother? eccentric
5. Your father? bothered
6. Your favorite thing? secret
7. Your dream last night? unknown
8. Your favorite drink? martini
9. Your dream/goal? contribution
10. What room you are in? lounge
11. Your hobby? neddies
12. Your fear? fear
13. Where do you want to be in 6 years? nurturer
14. Where were you last night? asleep
16. Muffins? overrated
17. Wish list item? uggs
18. Where you grew up? allover
19. Last thing you did? participated
20. What are you wearing? jamas
21. Your TV? newsnight
22. Your pets? away
23. Friends? crucial
24. Your life? hectic!
25. Your mood? calm
26. Missing someone? sometimes
27. Car? nah
28. Something you’re not wearing? undies
29. Your favorite store? various
30. Your favorite color? black
33. When is the last time you laughed? earlier
34. Last time you cried? yesterday
35. Who will do this? dunno
36. One place that I go to over and over? annabels
37. One person who emails me regularly? rachael
38. My favorite place to eat? thai
39. Why you participated in this survey? survey?
40. What are you doing tonight? chilling